We’re practically bursting at the seams with ideas over here at Miss American Made!!! Our latest lightbulb moment came to us as we considered different ways to style a dress. One of the MANY things that make dresses HOT is their versatility. From the minute you start thinking about all of the things you can wear over a dress (like one of the sexy dresses from Lucy in the Sky!!), you open up the door to LIMITLESS outfit options.
If you’re looking for a way to breathe new life into an old dress (or an excuse to buy a new one), LOOK NO FURTHER. We’re sharing a round-up of PERF items for wearing over dresses.
What To Wear Over A Dress
A long coat looks chic over just about any dress. A long coat, like a trench coat or pea coat, is a great way to stay warm, no matter which style of dress you’re wearing. Even an oversized jacket would look killer. TBH, there’s really no wrong way to wear a long coat over a dress, so this is prob the easiest thing to wear over a coat.
That said, long coats provide so much extra warmth that they’re probably best suited for cold weather. We know you could DEF pull off a long coat over any of your summer dresses, but let’s stick with the cooler months for this look.
Here are some of our favorite long coats to wear over a dress:
Do you know what a baddie does when she wants to look sophisticated AND trendy? She puts on a blazer. But not just any blazer. We’re talking about a blazer that makes a statement and elevates your outfit… a blazer like the killer ones made by Emerson Fry.
Since blazers come in A TON of shapes, sizes, and colors, you can wear one over practically any dress–from a slip dress or a maxi dress to a cocktail dress or an LBD. A bright blazer is a GREAT choice for a pop of color over a dress.
Here are a few killer examples of how to style a blazer over a dress. Try one (or all) of these outfit ideas and experience the power of this combo for yourself:
- Charcoal blazer over a long black silk slip dress
- Fitted black blazer over a mini red strapless bodycon dress
- Pink Blazer over a white spaghetti strap dress
- Cropped blazer over a little black dress
A blazer is a great option for making a dress look more sophisticated, but when you want to keep things casual, try a different kind of jacket. A denim or leather jacket can be styled with different dress styles to mix up your look and help you stay warm.
Here are some fashion-forward ways to wear a jacket over a dress:
- Denim cardigan jacket over a navy blue maxi dress
- Crop leather jacket over a red strapless cocktail dress
- Tan cropped moto jacket over a black sweater dress
Fur doesn’t have to be reserved for uber-rich housewives. In fact, we think anyone can rock faux fur–with the right outfit, of course. If you REALLY want to feel luxurious, try wearing faux fur over a slip-over slip dress or satin dress. Or throw it on over a formal dress or gown for a truly regal vibe.
Here are a couple of our fav, CHIC AF faux-fur pieces and ideas for how to style them:
- This Grey faux-fur vest would look FLAWLESS over a black strapless gown.
- For stunning street style, try a brown faux-fur coat over a white mini-dress.
Vests are IN babe!! The most fashionable baddies have been spotted in vests, including Gigi Hadid and Kendall Jenner, so you know we had to get in on this trend!! For our take on this IT GIRL look, we’re showing you different ways you can wear a vest over a dress:
- Black longline pleated crepe vest over a bright pink strappy dress
- Utilitarian vest over a long-sleeve black mini dress
- Rose-colored vest over a white fitted midi dress
- Chunky sweater vest over a white shirt dress
Who’d have thought that breathing new life into a dress was as easy as throwing on a shirt over it!?!? This is a hack we can totally get behind. (Don’t get us started on some of those other crazy “hacks” floating around the internet!! *eye roll*)
This look probably won’t work on a formal dress, but for pretty much any other kind of dress: YES PLEASE!! Here are some of our favorite ways to style a shirt over a dress:
- White wrap-around shirt over a green spaghetti strap midi dress
- White button-front shirt over a bold print maxi dress (Keep the shirt unbuttoned and tie it in a knot at or slightly above your waist)
- Denim shirt over an LBD (Shirt worn unbuttoned or knotted at the waist)
- Graphic tee over a bodycon dress
As if we needed one, we’re giving you another reason to love hoodies. You can use your favorite piece of cozy loungewear to reimagine a comfy dress outfit. Most hoodies fit loose or even oversized, so they tend to look best over more fitted dresses. Stick with casual dresses to match the vibe. Orrr you can have the best of both worlds with a hoodie dress!! ;))
These are some trendy ways to wear a hoodie over a dress:
- Ivory boxy terry hoodie over a black maxi dress
- Pink short sleeve hoodie over a white silk maxi dress
Two-piece dresses with crop tops are def on trend, but what about a crop top OVER a dress!? YASS BABE!! This look is IN and it’s so easy to pull off. If you need a little inspo, we got you covered.
Check out these killer ways to wear a crop top over a dress:
- Light blue cropped long-sleeve top over a long white fitted dress
- White cropped tee over a strapless pink midi dress
- Black cropped t-shirt over a red fitted midi dress
Wondering what to wear over a formal dress? Consider a cape. No, not a superhero cape. We’re talking about a long, loose piece of material you wear over your shoulders and down your back. A cape is an elegant way to stay warm in cooler temps. Oh, and to look like royalty at any black tie or formal event.
Check out these two jaw-dropping capes that can make you feel like a goddess:
From the minute you feel a wrap a shrug or a shawl draped over your shoulders, you feel like a million bucks. When you need just a little more coverage on a cool night or a little something to add an elegant touch, reach for one of the Made in USA pieces below. Fair warning: you’re going to be hounded with compliments… ;))
These are a few of our favorite shrugs, wraps, and shawls:
A cozy scarf in neutral colors is a wardrobe staple. One in a bold print is enviable. Needless to say, a scarf (or three) is a must-have. You can wrap one around your neck or throw it over your shoulders to ward off frigid temps, all while looking more chic than ever.
Here are two sexy scarves to add to your wardrobe:
What’s not to love about a cozy, comfy sweater? Sweaters are versatile layering pieces that can instantly transform any dress into a chic, cold-weather ‘fit. The key to pulling off this look is choosing pieces that complement each other and match your overall vibe.
There are several different ways to wear a sweater over a dress, including our favorite way to style a slip dress:
- Black cropped sweater over a printed silk midi dress (with a black leather belt)
- White beach cardigan over a fitted sleeveless pink midi dress
- Black drop shoulder sweater over a khaki silk midi dress
What’s YOUR thing to wear over a dress to elevate your outfit!?
Give us the deets, love… We want to hear from you!!
For more chic American-made items, check out the blog!